1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Environmental Health
  4.  » Food Service
Call for An Appointment
Public Health Career

Food Service

District 4 Public Health - Food Service

Restaurant Scores

Environmental Health inspections help protect the public. Click here to search for the inspection scores of establishments near you.

Preparing for an Inspection

Prepare your establishment for a health department inspection under the Georgia Food Code.

Opening a Restaurant

The Center for Environmental Health requires certain documents to review your restaurant plans.

Food Service Permits and Applications

For applicants who wish to operate a new food service establishment, or if there is a change of ownership to an existing food service establishment. Applicants must also complete the required packet if the project involves structural modifications, unless prior approval has been obtained from the health authority.

The organizer and vendors for a temporary food service event must submit this application 30 days before the event.

Mobile and Extended Food Service/Food Trucks

Pop-up Food Services
A Pop-up Food Service operation is coordinated through a Facilitator within a building or enclosed courtyard, not to exceed 3 hours in one day. A separate permit is NOT required for “pop-up” food service operations, only a Letter of Approval issued by the Health Authority.

Georgia Department of Public Health Variance and Waiver Information and Application

Under certain conditions, the Georgia Department of Public Health may grant a variance or waiver from the state’s Rules and Regulations for Food Service.

Food Service Establishment Modification Application

To initiate a modification or remodel of an existing food service establishment, complete and submit this application at least 14 business days in advance and obtain approval from your local Environmental Health Office.

Certified Food Safety Manager Course

District 4 offers ServSafe training certification courses to become a Food Safety Manager. Contact your local Environmental Health office for more information.

Water Safety & Boil Advisory

Food Service Establishments: If a water service interruption lasts longer than two hours, food service operations should stop serving food and beverages, unless it has an emergency operations plan approved by the local health department.

Hotels and Motels
Hotels and motels should post signs that advise guests not to drink or use water and only use commercially bottled water for drinking, food and beverage preparation, brushing teeth and bathing infants. Dispose of ice made on-site and clean and sanitize ice machines before making ice again.

Swimming Pools
Swimming pools and spas should be closed until boil advisory has been lifted.

Click here for more information on Food Service.